St. Dominic’s, Newcastle: Celebrating 150 years

The Dominican friars first arrived in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1239. They returned in the nineteenth century and St. Dominic’s church was opened by Cardinal Manning in September 1873.

On 11 September 2023, Bishop Stephen Wright, Bishop of Hexham & Newcastle, celebrated Mass for the 150th anniversary, and blessed a new icon of St. Dominic, written for the anniversary.